- ISPA (Int'l Spa Assoc) reports that 31% of today's spa goers are male - that is up 24% from 4 years ago!
- A recent KSL Report online survey stated that 65% of male responders would interested in spa services that took less time (25 mins was preferred). Massage was winner for treatment choice, following by manicures/pedicures and facials.
- In 2004, the men's skin care market was only one to two percent of the total skin care market. Over the past year, mens skin care has been the fastest growing segment in personal care. Some statistics show that men’s skincare products grew by 16% last year, compared to only 5% for all other skin care product lines.
So what do these few stats tell us? Men are interested in your services and products! Now the mission is finding out how to reach the male market in your neck of the woods.
- Create a male focused service menu. Keep it simple and grow into it. Offer massages, manicures/pedicures and facials using male focus products, keeping the service time length down and the price to match.
- Carry a male focused retail line. Stick to one our two lines you believe in and use them in your services. Many times men can be sold easier then women when you use the product on them and prove to them the benefits. Once men find something that works, they are hooked and are repeat buyers. Be sure to package them in masculine retail packaging --think blacks, gold, and silver. They don't want to carry the cute pink bag your lady clients simply adore.
- Start with what you know. Your female customers can be key to getting your male clients coming in. Offer package deals with wives or girlfriends --- think couples spa days for a romantic gift, or Father's Day specials, or Men Only Holiday Deals. The women will buy the special men in their lives these gifts, the men will enjoy the gifts, and thencome back for more!
- Go where the men are. Advertise at local sporting events in the sports programs, on the radio, at gyms (especially for hair removal treatments), restaurants, community events, etc...
I hope these tips help grow your male clientel. Men can enjoy the pampering women have enjoyed for years. Grow your market reach and grow your business!